Thursday, May 9, 2013

Pelvic Floor Dysfunction- Mayo Clinic Biofeedback Program (Days 1-4)


    Currently I am back at Mayo Clinic and just finished day 4 of the 2-week biofeedback program for pelvic floor dysfunction. I initially planned to post daily about how the program was working for me, but I became really overwhelmed over the past few days and just could not bring myself to do it. So many things happened that I did not expect, so I am hoping to help others who may be going through Mayo's program by documenting my own journey. I thought that biofeedback was going to be a relatively easy process that would show some sort of improvement early on, but I definitely misunderstood the process. I am now realizing that this biofeedback program is only the first step in a long journey that may take several months before any kind of improvement is felt. I try to give daily updates throughout the rest of this program, but this is how the first 4 days went.

Day 1 (2 appointments) 
#1 (Evaluation)
At this appointment I met with the nurse I would be working with for the next 10 days and we discussed exactly what problems I was having and how biofeedback can help. The nurse provided a lot of useful information and explained, in detail, the different steps and goals of the biofeedback program. The appointment ended up being about 1 ½-2 hours long.

#2 (Biofeedback)
A few hours later I came back for an appointment to actually start the biofeedback process. Once I got into the room, I was given a hospital gown and led to the bathroom where I was instructed to remove everything from the waist down and come out when I’m ready. When I came back out the nurse had me lay on the table (on my left side) where she then inserted the rectal sensor. It was initially very painful and uncomfortable, but she said the pain should improve as my body adapts to the sensor. Being only my first session, most of the time was spent learning what the different lights meant and exactly how to read the biofeedback device. The device used in this program is called “U-Control sEMG” which provides both visual and auditory feedback with pelvic muscle movement.  My nurse said Mayo chose this particular device because it is easy to use and not very expensive (since patients are supposed to rent/purchase one to continue use at home using the techniques learned during the program), compared to other devices.  Here is a link with device information: http://bio-medical.com/products/u-control-semg.html. Once I learned about the lights, she instructed me to squeeze and release each outlet/muscle as a way for me to become aware of my pelvic floor and coordinate the feeling of muscle movement with the lights on the device. She said that finding those muscles may take a little time, but was surprised by my lack of feeling in that area. Although I get rectal pain/spasms on a daily basis, my nurse suspects that the two previous abdominal surgeries damaged sensory nerves that are used to feel movement in the pelvic floor. She said that my lack of sensory signals will make biofeedback a more difficult process and instead of relying on sensations, I needed to learn secondary methods that I could rely on, like learning how to push my pelvic floor down through breathing techniques.

Day 2 (3 appointments)
#1 - #3 (Biofeedback)
At 8AM I came back for another session, but instead of laying down, I transitioned to sitting on the commode. The commode was placed on a platform and it had an opening at the bottom that the nurse used to insert and hold the sensor in place. Insertion was painful, but I was able to get my numbers down from 7 to around the 1.8-2.1 range for a few seconds during the session. I was instructed many times to take deep breaths, focusing on expanding my belly instead of my chest. I found this extremely difficult, since I appear to be a heavy chest breather, but “tummy breathing” pushes the pelvic floor down which is supposed to make evacuation easier. In between appointments I was instructed to work on tummy breathing, but when I came back for later appointments, I was still having a hard time.

Day 3 (3 appointments)
#1 - #3 (Biofeedback)
When I came in at 8AM on Wednesday, my nurse brought in an occupational therapist to assist in helping me learn how to breath properly. She hooked me up to a diaphragmatic breathing biofeedback machine (with a sensor band that wrapped around just below my ribs and an additional sensor on each shoulder) that showed me exactly how I was breathing on a computer screen. The band was used to measure deep tummy breathing and the shoulder sensors were used to measure the amount of tension I had in each shoulder. This tool was definitely helpful in showing me how to relax and breathe properly, but my stomach was so bloated and distended from being so backed up, that I had a really hard time expanding it any further. It was also hard to look at so many different reading and try to coordinate my rectal muscles, belly breathing, and shoulders all together since each individual part takes a lot of concentration.

At my last appointment of the day, I went through the same routine, but without the breathing biofeedback machine. I started off doing great, trying to use the breathing/relaxation techniques I had used earlier, but out of nowhere, my rectal muscles began to involuntarily squeeze and spasm. I experienced similar spasms in the past, but this time it lasted longer than a few minutes and caused intense rectal pain. Since it was causing so much pain, my nurse told me to just take out the sensor and recommended that I maybe try external sensors the next day, unless I felt any better. She also recommended doing an enema that night as a way to relieve constipation and pain as well as improve my ability to expand my belly more when I breathe, instead of my chest.

Day 4 (3 appointments)
#1 - #3 (Biofeedback)- Thursday morning I came back at 8AM for another session. I used a warm water enema the night before (about 800 cc), which induced prolapse, but helped relieve a lot of built up stool and pressure. Even though I had the option to use the external sensors, my nurse said they do not work as well and would sort of be moving backwards instead of forwards. Determined to make some kind of progress and feeling better than the day before, I decided to try the rectal sensor again. Once I got the sensor in, I sat on a normal chair, which was initially pretty uncomfortable, but I got used to it with a few adjustments. While sitting in the chair, I hovered around the 1.2-1.8mv range on the machine. The enema from the night before seemed to relieve a lot of bloating and distention which allowed me to better expand my stomach with belly breathing. This made a huge difference and with every deep breath, my pelvic floor began to relax and lower, bringing my numbers down significantly.

The second session of the day went pretty well, staying at a low tension level pretty consistently. There was definitely fluctuation, but I lowered my level so much that I was able to move from the “3 scale” to the “1 scale”.

At the third session I started off on the “3 scale”, but through deep belly breathing I was able to gain some control of my pelvic muscles by relaxing and pushing them down. About 5 minutes in, I was able to switch back to the “1 scale” and bring my level down really low until random, but extremely strong and painful spasms started. The levels immediately shot up to “N” (a high and unreadable level), forcing me to go move back to level 3, and even there, I stayed at a very high level. The spasms felt like someone was literally stabbing me up my butt and after about 5-10 minutes of trying different relaxation and breathing techniques, the spasms just would not decrease, forcing me to take out the sensor and end the session early. Taking the sensor out was significantly more difficult and painful due to the tight muscles squeezing around the sensor. Once I removed the sensor, the pain decreased, but the spasms continued for about 1 full hour until it finally began to settle down. It was an extremely disappointing end to such a good day...although I am used to getting daily rectal spasms, they have never lasted as long at such a high intensity. As aggravating as it may be, I realize this program will not “fix me” by the end of these two weeks and this will be a long, ongoing process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment