Friday, May 10, 2013

Mayo Clinic Pelvic Floor Biofeedback Program- Day 5


Day 5 (3 appointments)
#1 - #3 (Biofeedback)
Today is my fifth day of the program, which means I’m halfway there! I can’t wait to finally go home, but I’m still really disappointed that I haven’t made very much progress this past week. My first session this morning started off pretty rough, which I’m assuming is because of how awful I felt the night before, but once I got past the initial discomfort, I was actually able to move back down to the “1” scale and stay there for a while before moving back up. Unfortunately, that was very short-lived and during the second and third sessions I fluctuated between the “3” and “5” scales. My nurse thinks that my muscles get tired of doing the right thing pretty early on, which is why I seem to have better luck in the morning and shoot up to higher numbers in the afternoon.  I’m hoping this will improve over time. Additionally, whenever I eat lately, my stomach bloats to an unbelievable level. After doing a warm water enema Wednesday night, I was finally able to expand my stomach when I breathe, making it easier to lower my levels on the biofeedback machine on Thursday. But after eating a small lunch yesterday, my stomach became very distended and bloated all over again. I wasn't able to eat anything for the rest of the day Thursday and most of the day today, until I forced myself to eat again around 5pm. I don’t understand why eating such a small amount of food causes so much pain, discomfort, bloating, and nausea, but I’m hoping my doctor will have some helpful solutions at my next appointment with him on Thursday.

Since Mayo is closed on Saturday and Sunday, I was given the biofeedback machine to take home for the weekend and use before I go back on Monday. My instructions were to use the machine 2-3 times a day for about 30 minutes each, using the techniques I have learned over the past few days. Additionally, I have to document my starting (after 1 min) level and lowest numbers I am able to reach in each session. This is like a trial phase with the machine, to see if I can make it work well on my own and without the assistance of a nurse. So, once I try it out on my own a few times, I will give another update as to how things are going.

If the trend continues and I have no bm on my own between now and Sunday, I will be doing another enema Sunday afternoon before starting with the balloon on Monday. The whole next week I will go down to only 2 appointments per day, but instead of using the biofeedback machine, I will be working strictly with the balloon. I’m hoping and praying for better luck next week, but I was warned it will probably prove to be more difficult for me, since I have not made very much progress with the biofeedback machine. I guess we’ll just see what happens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment